What's involved in shipping freight from Canada to the USA or from Usa to Canada
Moving Freight Between Canada and the USA can be a simple process if everything is done right. Here is what you will need.
1.Proper wrapping - Make sure (whenever possible) that your freight is either crated or shrink wrapped on a pallet. This method will allow you to ship the most economical way because you will avoid any special handling charges or possible damages.

2. Dimensions and weight - Make sure your freight sits inside the perimeter of the pallet it's on (Usually 48"x 40" x 48" or 48" x 48" x 48"). Try to keep the weight of each piece to a maximum of 1600 Lbs or less. Among many other things this will ensure handling of your freight can be done with a simple pallet jack in case where you are shipping to does not have a forklift. The costs of handling standard sizes and weights always keeps shipping costs down for both us and you.

Canada to USA Pallet Standard weight and dimentions size
3. Custom Broker - When shipping freight across the border you will need to have an account with a customs brokerage company. This is a company that will be responsible for determining the taxes and customs duties that you will have to pay to either the U.S. or Canadian government for bringing products into that country. You will need to supply the trucking company taking your freight across the border with the name of the Customs broker you are setup with. You will also need to supply the trucking company with the necessary paperwork usually a commercial invoice detailing.


  1. A clear description of the goods that can be understood by anyone. Example.... if you are shipping cabinets make sure your commercial invoice says cabinets not just model numbers or part numbers.
  2. Where the product is made. This will play a big role in determining what kinds of duties if any will apply. (some countries have free trade agreements and are exempt from duties)
  3. A tax number. Example an IRS number for product going in to the USA
Please email or fax the commercial invoice to Dispatch as well as giving a copy to the driver picking up the shipment.
The most common types of shipments going to the USA are called PAPS shipments
The most common types of shipments going to Canada are called PARS shipments
There are other types of shipments such as  US bonded and Canadian bonded shipments (usually for freight not staying in the country they are being shipped to). however there are other reasons you would require a bonded shipment.
Some freight can also require a C-TPAT or CSA certified border crossing carrier. If your freight is classified as dangerous goods or Hazmat ( Hazardous Material) you will need to make sure you have documents detailing all hazmat information. Rest assured all our trucks and trailers are equipped with Placard holders to meet the safety requirements for your Hazardous Materials Transport and we can handle all types of border crossings and special requirements. including protection from freezing in the winter, lift-gate/tailgate delivery, residential service and dry food transport service (FDA). Contact us today to arrange your LTL freight movement and let us show you how we can service your cargo. We take your shipments very seriously.


Copyright © 2007 - 651093 Ontario Ltd. All rights reserved